How I Combat Frizzy Hair

10:00 AM


Everyone understands how frizzy hair can really ruin a look with all the flyaways, loss of curly texture and the hair feeling and looking quite dry. In my experience, after spending over 2 hours working on a 3-strand Bantu knot out, frizz ends up ruining all of my hard work. What a waste, huh?

Well, say goodbye to frizz because I've got some solutions for you to try.

Winning the battle against frizz starts with understanding why our hair gets frizzy in the first place. According to MoKnowsHair, "Frizz occurs when the cuticle layer of your hair is raised, allowing moisture to pass through and swell the strands. As a result, your hair appears dry and frizzy instead of smooth and defined. In general, curly hair tends to have more frizz than straight hair because of dehydration in the strands, which leaves it more vulnerable to frizzing."

Makes sense to me...

In order to fight this, there are a few things we can do.

Drink more water

I know the internet is obsessed with drinking water 24/7, which can start to get a little annoying, but they are kinda right about it. When your body is dehydrated, it starts to show through your skin and hair.


Some people on Twitter have shared their experiences with drinking water and how it cleared up their acne or changed their hair. Whether you believe them or not, you got to get those ounces in. I'm not saying drink gallons upon gallons every day, but just up it a little if you can.

Make sure you're using good hair products

If you are a natural girl like me, you have tried a LOT of products. Miss Jessie's, Shea Moisture, Cantu (a personal favorite), and much more. Unfortunately, not all products work for all types of hair. I have type 4 hair and Shea Moisture is an absolute no-go. None of their stuff works for me.


For months I was using Shea Moisture's conditioners and shampoos, but my hair felt so dry and was constantly frizzy. No protective styles would last more than 2 days and that's on a good day. Fortunately, products by Cantu tend to work better. I made the switch and my hair was much happier with me.

Find what works for you. It can get expensive, but there are many ways to try new stuff while balling on a budget.

Use satin everything

Personally, I sleep in a satin bonnet with a satin pillowcase. This may be overkill but it works.


Satin and silk prevent hair loss and damage by keeping your hair from rubbing against harsh objects like regular pillow cases. If you haven't already made the switch, do it! You should be able to find a satin or silk bonnet, night scarf and pillowcases online. Here's the one I have.

*The satin pillowcases can come in a variety of colors, so finding one to match your room should be no problem.

Finish your style with a gel & try a diffuser 

For my naturally curly, kinky or wavy girls, if you aren't already using a gel to set your twist outs or wash-and-gos, you should be doing this! A gel can really help with keeping the curls popping and preventing it from frizzing. You can think of it as a sealant in a way.


As for diffusing, most blow dryers come with a diffuser attachment. They're also pretty inexpensive if you don't already have one. A diffuser will help the hair dry faster while maintaining it's set style. Even though I prefer air drying to diffusing, if the air is pretty humid, I'll diffuse to try to combat the frizz.

At the end of the day, a little bit of frizz is not bad, it's also unavoidable. There is no 100% full-proof way to prevent frizz. But, there are ways to lessen the effects.

So, don't get angry with your hair if it frizzes, just try a different method next time.

Try these tips and let me know if any of them work for you. If you have other advice for frizzy hair, write them in the comments.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest