Fears You Need to Conquer Before Going to College

8:00 AM


For many of us, the first day of the semester is just around the corner. 

As much as we're all excited about it, when you know that you're about to embark on a new path in a new chapter of your life, the ambiguity of the future brings about fear. And, fear can prevent us from living our best lives and being the best versions of ourselves.

When it comes to college, fear has no place in that experience.
There's just simply no room for it.

Fortunately for us youngsters, college is a time for self-improvement. It's a space that is specifically designated for growing and changing. I mean, no one goes into college thinking they're going to be the same person they were when they entered.

In my personal experience, I have a lot of regrets when it comes to my college experience. Most of it stems from how I spent my time freshman year. And so I start us off with this:

Your freshman year sets the tone for the rest of your college experience.

Some people may not agree with me and that's okay. But, I strongly stand by this statement.

I've worked in student affairs for most of my time in college. Actually, the entirety of my (almost) four and a half years in university. Starting from being a building representative to working for student housing to being a peer mentor and now being editor-in-chief of my schools' newspaper. I know students pretty well.

And, time and time again I see the same thing. Students that were unhappy with their freshman year usually stay unhappy with the rest of their college experience to some degree.

Now, that's not to say that it's impossible to change this. But, that's a blog post for another day.

We're here to talk about the number one fear you need to conquer before going to college. So, now the question is, what is that fear?

Your fear is simply this:

What other people think of you.

More than likely, whether you want to admit it or not, you are afraid of what others will think or say about you.

When in high school, our focus is usually on "how can I impress my peers?" It's not usually stated that way, but you get the point. High school is such a confusing time for us all and we struggle with trying to fit in, one way or another. But in college, no one is really thinking about you and more than likely, they're feeling the same way you do.

I mean, who has the time to think about someone else when you're juggling a schedule of 12-16+ units?

However, even with that in mind, we still think people care about what we're doing. That they're focused on the mistakes we make, that time when we tripped walking to class and all the other negative instances.

But, the reality is:

No one is spending that much time thinking about you.

(Sorry, not sorry.)

I really mean it though. People are not thinking about you and that's not to say that no one cares for you, because a lot of people do. But, the point here is to not let this kind of thinking fuel your self-consciousness. Worrying about this kind of thing can prevent you from going to events, speaking up in class and putting your best foot forward in all areas of your life.

My big takeaway here is that you need to enjoy this experience. You only get to be a freshman this one last time. The feeling of being new and trying to figure everything out is a wonderful one and I think about it often. I miss those times when college was new to me and it scared me, but I felt like I could do anything. I felt on top of the world.

But the biggest mistake I made was letting the fear of other peoples' perception of me stop me from joining clubs, trying out for the dance team and even going to the gym. And, now I have to live with that.

So, please, learn from my mistakes and do you boo. Make mistakes and learn from them, do the things that intimidate you and most importantly, live your life to fullest because your future self will thank you later.

What are some other fears you have about going to college? Write a comment below or chat with me via Twitter and Instagram @bria_alex_.

Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest