Back to School: What Not to Bring to College

8:00 AM


I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the summer of 2014 and I had just gotten back from Japan. I had a little less than a month to get ready to go off to college. With not a clue as to what I would need, I started with a simple search on Pinterest and came across thousands of blogs and sites telling me about the hundreds of things that I should bring with me to college.

Believing in most of the things I was being told, I bought just about everything on those lists with the exception of what I already owned (because tbh I'm not rich).

After trying to pack all of the items into my car and embarking on a 6-hour ride to my new home, I quickly realized that I had too much stuff. Once I was moving in, it was clear that I had brought too many items and didn't have enough room for most of it.

As the semester went on, I was surrounded in my cramped dorm room by items that I literally never used. Ugh, what a waste.

To prevent you from going through what I did, here are some items I would recommend you not bring with you to college.

Ironing Board and Iron

I'm sure there are some people who might want to argue with me on this, but I'm going to tell you straight up, you don't need it.

I brought an iron and ironing board my freshman year and I probably only used it once in the entire three years I lived in the dorms. What a waste of space and money quite honestly.

If you need to get wrinkles out of your clothes, I would recommend a steamer or, if you're cheap like me, you can try hanging your clothes in the bathroom while you shower. Either option is better than bringing an iron.

Coffee Maker

I love coffee just as much as the next person, but I can't say that bringing a coffee maker (whether that be a Keurig or an ordinary old-school machine) is an absolute necessity. Many campuses now let you use your meal plan to pay for coffee from the on-campus coffee shops, making the use of a machine a waste of space.

However, if you feel it absolutely necessary, maybe try instant coffee? I drink instant coffee regularly and it's honestly not that bad. Give it a try or cut coffee out altogether.

Printer

I'll be honest, I'm still not a 100% sure if you shouldn't bring this item because it truly depends on the school you attend.

My first university included the cost of printing in the tuition and fees so you had almost 200 pages to spend per semester. My current university does not have that and I'm absolutely bummed about it. Fortunately, I do have a printer at home I like to use, but that doesn't help me when I'm on the go.

For this item, I would recommend that you find out if printing is included and make your decision from there. If you decide to bring a printer with you, try to find a smaller one so that way it doesn't take up too much space.

Toaster

9 times out of 10 you most definitely can't have a toaster in your dorm or on-campus apartment.

Because there's a rule against having them due to it being a fire hazard, that's enough to not waste your time or money on bringing one to college.

Alarm Clock

Okay, I do not understand why so many lists include this. It's a little irritating to be quite honest.

With the prevalence of phones, I don't see the purpose in wasting money buying an alarm clock. Also, if you have roommates, an alarm clock is a sure-fire way to create conflict. What person wants to be woken up by someone else's alarm? 

The answer is no one.

A Bike

Ah, another debatable item.

For some, a bike is a necessity because it's their only form of transportation. For that, I understand. However, if you're planning on bringing your bike "just because," I would say don't do it. 

It's likely to end up on the bike rack never being used, with you forgetting it on move-out day and it being confiscated by the campus police.
Simply not worth bringing.

Well, there you have it. A whole list of unnecessary items that so many college students bring with them on move-in day. Save yourself the trouble and ensure that you'll have a great time in college without all the clutter.

Have more recommendations of what not to bring to college? Leave a comment or let me know via Twitter and Instagram @bria_alex_.

Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest