Tips for Living with Roommates

10:00 AM


Many of us are back in school and that means back to living with our roommates. As much as we all wish we could be friends with our roommates, that's not always the reality. I would know, I've had about 10 of them in the last 4 years. Some are easy to live with, others are more difficult and few are near intolerable. Either way, we can make this experience more bearable.

Not all of our roommates were picked by us, so we have start with understanding that everyone comes from different places and were taught different things. When living with people we don't know, we have to be empathetic towards them and use good communication skills to reach a happy medium.

Set boundaries

While living in close quarters with others, it is important to know what will and won't be tolerated. Emphasis on tolerated.

I add the attention to tolerated because I think it's fair to assume that you are all adults, which means no one can really tell anyone what to do. It's not anyone's place to do so, therefore if you make it clear from the get-go about what you are willing to accept, there will be no lines crossed.

Do your chores

In my experience, the main cause of arguments between roommates is due to uncleanliness. Sarah left her dishes on the counter with food still on them, it was Ambers' turn to take out the trash but she didn't do it, and so on.

I'm sure I don't have to go into it, so I'll leave with this. Just clean up after yourself as much as possible. If everyone could just do this, arguments would probably never happen.

Don't be petty

Admitting how petty one can be is hard, but I'll be the first to admit that I have a pettiness problem. Whenever things don't go my way or someone does something I don't like, I take it personally and act accordingly, aka I get petty.

I'm ashamed of it, so we don't have to go into detail about it. However, we can work towards not being so petty in the future.

Here are some ways we can all make sure we are not being petty:
  • Don't take things personal
  • Watch your response to things that bother you
  • Communicate clearly
  • Think first before you act

Be considerate

I know you want to listen to that new Troye Sivan album on full blast, but keep in mind that your roommates may be sleeping or studying.

I love to listen to my music out loud as much as I can, but the best way to avoid pissing your roommates off is to use those beautiful headphones that came with your phone. Also, your roommates should do the same.

Although, there is one way to get away with it, which is to just ask. Stop by your roommate's door, give them a nice knock and ask them if it would be okay to listen to your music out loud for 30 minutes while keeping it at a somewhat considerate level.

Try to enjoy your time with those you live with

We can't be friends with all of our roommates and some of them don't want to be friends with you. And that's okay. As long as you can all get along with no issues, that's all that matters. If you do become friends, that's great! Maybe you'll be roommates again later.

No matter what happens, do your best to be good roommates and if you encounter any issues, you can reach out to your RA (Residential Advisor) or have a mutual friend help with a mediation to work things out.

Those are all the tips I have for you today. What have you experienced as a roommate? Share your thoughts and tips in comments or start a conversation on my social media.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest