3 Things To Do to Have a Successful Spring Semester

10:00 AM


Congrats! You made it through the Fall semester!

Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but, we now have to get through the Spring semester.

I know what you're thinking. "Another 16 weeks!?"

Yes, but we're going to set ourselves up to be as successful as possible and get through this semester as seamlessly as we can. Basically, the faster (and better) we get through the Spring semester, the sooner we can get to summer break.

Here are a few things you need to do before the semester starts:

Get organized

I don't just mean cleaning your room or getting your folders ready. (Although, you definitely should do this.) I'm specifically advising you to take a good hard look into what classes you will be taking. 

What do the reviews on Rate My Professor have to say about the class? 

Do you have the supplies you need? Have looked at the syllabus?

Is a textbook needed? If so, how much is it and where can you order it.

When you take all of these questions into account, there's a lot that needs to be done in order to be ready for your new classes. 

Make sure you have you a good understanding of what will be required of you, so you won't encounter any surprises.

Meet with your advisor

I thank the universe for academic advisors. Without them, we would never know what classes to take, when to take them, or if we are on track to graduate.

Here's one of my #1 tips for you:
NEVER TRUST YOUR FRIENDS TO TELL YOU WHAT CLASSES TO TAKE!

No matter how much they know about the major or how many classes they've taken, they more than likely don't know exactly how many units are needed to graduate or if you still need upper division GE's.

Go ahead and talk to your advisor early. They will have access to your records and be able to help you be and stay on track to graduate better than your BFF, Sarah. 

Also, make sure you talk to them early and semi-often. If you get to them before the "Class Registration Rush," you will get more one-on-one time and they will be easier to reach with any of your questions, because they already know you. 
Furthermore, I recommend seeing your advisor every semester to check in and make sure nothing has changed so you are still on track to graduate.

Use a planner

If you've read the little "About Me" to your right, you'd know that I'm an avid planner user. You won't find many post about how I use my planner and stuff like that on here, but in person, I LOVE to talk planners.

When I was a peer mentor, I would always tell my students to use their planners!

I like to think of these amazing little books, or in my case, amazing big books, as the best personal assistant one could ever have. It should have just about everything in it. Reminders, important dates, deadlines, appointments, good things that have happened, movie nights and more! How could you not use one!?

Now, I know that planners aren't for everyone and that's okay... (you're breaking my heart). 

But, if you want to have the best semester yet, you need to use one. The best part is, you don't have to have a $50 planner like some people do. A simple $10 planner and some self-discipline is just enough to keep you on top of your school and personal life.

*Side note: I would recommend a bullet journal for some people, but I have a personal thing against bullet journals. You can read more about it here.

Please keep in mind that these are just 3 of many things you can do to have a successful semester. I have written about this topic quite a bit, so if you want more ideas on how to be a successful students, you can click here.

If you've started the semester already, how is it going so far? And if you're like me and still on winter break, what are you doing the prepare for the Spring? Let me know in the comments below.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest