Using Hyaluronic Acid for Managing Oily Skin

8:00 AM


When it comes to beauty, the first thing to know about me is that I have oily skin. I'm not talking about oily enough that I only need to blot one or two times a day. We're talking, I'm so oily that someone has asked me what kind of highlighter I use. And to keep a long story short, they were very disappointed by my answer because the honest truth is that I don't wear any.

I've struggled with being oily for the entirety of my teenage years and now I've brought those struggles into my young adulthood. Wearing makeup has also always been a struggle because my skin just lifts up any foundations I try.

Now, before you ask if I've used primers and other methods, the answer is yes, I've tried several different methods. From drinking more water to wearing facial moisturizers with oil in them (not something I would really recommend other people with oily skin to try).

But, one method I had never thought of before was adding Hyaluronic Acid to my daily routine.

This idea came from watching one of my favorite beauty YouTubers, Jackie Aina. Not only does she have oily skin, she's also a woman of color making her more relatable.

Time and time again, Jackie had recommended that those with oily skin try adding this product that was supposedly game-changing for her. So, I did just that.

I went to the store and bought my very own bottle of Hyaluronic Acid.

Since seeing Jackie's recommendations I've tried these Hyaluronic Acid containing products:

Some of these I have used individually and others in combination with each other, but overall I've been using the Valjean Labs Hydrate Facial Serum and the Pearlessence Radiance Perfecting Serum as my main source of facial moisture.

My Initial Thoughts

I went into this feeling pretty optimistic. I was excited about possibly having found the solution to a problem that seemed to be never-ending. But, when I first tried Hyaluronic Acid, I wasn't sure how I felt about it because I didn't really notice a difference. This made me very skeptical and even a little scared.

From the little initial research I did (if I'm being honest about it), I found out that this product was really meant for those with dry skin because of how hydrating it is. But, I also found out that oiliness can sometimes be a sign of dehydration in the skin, which is different from dry skin.

So, even though my very first time trying it didn't go as planned, I kept using it. I applied it on a freshly washed face after using Micellar Cleansing Water every day for a week. After following this routine daily, my results changed.

Final Thoughts



It's been almost a year since adding Hyaluronic Acid to my daily skincare routine and here's what I found:

I'm honestly not sure if it works.

Pretty disappointing results, but it's the truth. I really don't know if it's working. One reason for this could be the combination of products I'm using with it. Either way, I'm still not sure.

One thing I will note is that after a while, I felt like it wasn't working because my face would get ashy after applying it. I assumed that the product wasn't doing its' job or just simply didn't work because as someone with oily skin, my face doesn't usually get ashy.

So, I did switch to an oil-free facial moisturizer from Trader Joe's, which was making my skin more oily so maybe the Hyaluronic Acid was working?

What I'd Do Differently

I think a major part of why it's not working could be the products I'm using before I apply Hyaluronic Acid. I'm not currently using a toner on my skin, but I've heard that it's a must-have for those with oily skin. Therefore, in the future, I'd like to try a different combo and see if that makes a difference.

In the end, though, I would recommend that others with oily skin try it out and I definitely recommend it to those with dry skin.

Anyway, I'd like to review some of these products or try out any that you recommend as well. Let me know in the comments if you have any recommendations or something you'd like to see me try in the future. And, be sure to connect with me on Twitter and Instagram.

Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest