Changing Paths: How I Changed My Major

10:00 AM

Changing majors can be an exciting and hard process. Luckily, it doesn't have to be. With this short guide, you can learn how I made the process easier to handle and understand.


Figure Out Why You Want to Change

This is the second hardest part of the process. In order to change your major, you have to figure out the clear and exact reason why you want to change it.

Is it because it's too hard? Or because you have no interest in your current major? Personally, I think that there is a difference between changing majors because it's too hard and changing because it's not a good fit. Some subjects aren't going to be as interesting or as easy as one might have thought. This is a common occurrence for many college students.

Make sure that you know exactly why, so when you explain it to your Academic Advisor they can make the transition easier and better assist you on your journey.

Decide What Major to Change To

When I decided that I wanted to change my major to Psychology, I found it by searching through my school's majors online. I kept going between Human Communications and Psychology. I love talking to people and having great conversations, but, one day something clicked for me and I realized that I love learning about the brain! From there it was decided!

An important thing to keep in mind, is that you may want to consider the possibility of changing schools in order to get the major you want. There are times when the school you are currently attending won't have the major you are looking for. In that case, try looking into schools that have the major you want. If that is not an option, look for a similar major that is at the school you are currently attending and see if you can have a concentration in a certain area of that major.

Talk To Your Academic Advisor

The next step is talking to your Academic Advisor. I found that this was the hardest part of the process for me because I had spent a year and a half with my Japanese Language and Culture Academic Advisor. So, we had created a kind of bond. She was even there for me when I thought about quitting college.

Fortunately for me, I didn't actually have to meet with my Japanese Language and Culture Advisor. My school doesn't require it. I only had to meet with the Advisor for the major I was trying to change to. I felt a huge relief because I didn't have to explain why I wanted to change to my major to my previous advisor. Which would have made me feel guilty.

With that said, if you are planning on changing your major at your school, make sure you talk to an Advisor that can tell how this part of the process is supposed to be handled. Try to see if you can talk the Advisor for the major you are trying to change to.

Declare the Major

This is last big step in changing your major! Yay! Your new path begins here!

Well, actually, it doesn't quite start here. Before you can actually "change" your major, you have to meet with the academic advisor for the major you want to switch to. From there, they should be able to help you with your paperwork and the actual request for the change. Once that gets approved, it normally takes about a week or two for the request to go through. Then, once you see the change on your transcript, you're all set!
Congrats on changing your major! I hope that you are super happy about your new path in your college career. If you happened to use this guide to help you, let me know in the comments how it all went or you can email me. I'd love to hear about it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like My Podcast on FaceBook

Follow Me on Pinterest